Table of Contents
The Complete Guide to Designing Healthcare Website: In an increasingly digital world, your healthcare organization’s website is often the first touchpoint for patients to engage and build trust with your brand.
But with outdated platforms still commonplace, how do healthcare providers design websites that communicate quality care and attract new patients?
As an experienced healthcare web designer, I’ve curated this comprehensive guide to creating the perfect healthcare website in 2024 covering:
- Vital elements to include for every type of provider
- Optimizing content and messaging for patient acquisition
- Best practices for information architecture and navigation
- Ensuring mobile responsiveness and site speed
- Driving patient engagement through cutting-edge UX
- Integrating appointment scheduling and telehealth
- Setting up analytics to measure ROI
Whether you are a small clinic, hospital system or senior care facility, follow this strategic blueprint to craft a high-impact website that delivers results.
Let’s dive in!
Understand Your Patient Personas
Start by developing fictional profiles of your ideal patient demographics:
- Name, age, location, family, job examples
- Their health needs, motivations and fears
- Where they consume health information online
- Their decision journey in choosing healthcare providers
- Challenges they face accessing or managing care
This psychographic data lets you design every site element tailored to personas.
Perform Competitor Analysis
Research how competitors approach:
- Site architecture and navigation
- Page layouts and content presentation
- Overall visual design, color schemes and imagery
- How they speak about services and procedures
- Types of CTAs and conversion funnels used
- SEO and metadata optimization
Derive inspiration from their wins while improving on their flaws.
Audit Your Existing Site
If redesigning, objectively evaluate:
- What is working well to double down on
- What fails to achieve business goals
- What patients struggle with or complain about
- What feels dated from design or content perspective
- Technical issues like page speed and mobile bugs
Build a business case for redesign backed by data.
Map Out Site Structure and Navigation
Organize site information architecture around patient needs:
- Simple, scannable homepage with clear paths to action
- Logical header or mega menu navigation
- About Us explaining credentials and bios
- Services overview with sub-specialization pages
- Locations, hours and doctors for each office
- Patient login for appointment and records access
- Telehealth, bill pay, prescription refill quick links
- Contact form, phone, email access points
Minimize clicks by structuring IA intuitively.
Optimize Page Layout and Content
Make every page skimmable and actionable through:
- Clean one or two column layouts on widescreens
- Simplified single column on mobile
- Short paragraphs, bulleted lists and scannable headers
- Prominent CTAs above the fold
- Limited navigational and informational links per section
- Relevant visuals like doctor headshots and location images
Facilitate quick information finding and calls-to-action.
Perfect Messaging and Copywriting
Humanize your practice through word choice:
- Warm, conversational and welcoming tone
- Avoid overly clinical jargon and technical terms
- Focus on educating and building trust
- Emphasize expertise, outcomes and patient experience
- Include relatable physician bios
- Share patient stories and testimonials
Copy should reassure readers you understand their needs.
showcase Providers and Facilities
Build confidence through showcasing:
- Photos, bios, and certifications of each medical provider
- Images of reception areas, exam rooms, and facilities
- Equipment and technologies used in procedures
- Awards, recognitions, and accolades achieved
- Videos of providers explaining processes
- Photo galleries of engaging social media activities
Transparency and education encourages selection.
Enable Online Appointment Booking
Integrate real-time appointment scheduling through solutions like Zocdoc, Vital, and Solutionreach to allow:
- Patients booking appointments 24/7
- Selecting preferred provider and location
- Choosing service, date, and time
- Entering details like symptoms and insurance
- Receiving reminders and notifications
Online booking lowers barriers and boosts conversion.
Offer Telehealth Options
Add eVisits through partners like Doxy.me, Teladoc and AmericanWell enabling:
- 24/7 access to care via video consults
- Online symptom checks with AI chatbots
- Following up results from smart devices
- Prescription renewals and refills
- Downloading visit summaries
Expanding virtual access raises satisfaction and retention.
Make The Site Accessible
Ensure disabilities can seamlessly use the site through:
- Proper HTML semantics and alt text
- Strong visible focus and color contrast
- Keyboard and screen reader navigation
- Closed captioning of videos
- Offering assistive tools
- Providing an accessibility statement
Go beyond minimums to serve patients fully.
Optimize for Mobile and Performance
Slow sites frustrate patients. Ensure speedy mobile experience:
- Responsive design for all devices
- Accelerated Mobile Pages (AMP)
- Image optimization and lazy loading
- Minimizing HTTP requests
- Browser caching of static assets
- Content Delivery Network (CDN) for faster load times
- Eliminating render blocking resources
Even 1s delays hurt engagement and SEO.
Set Up Analytics and Search Optimization
Continuously refine through data:
- Install Google Analytics and Google Tag Manager
- Add conversion tracking to capture leads and bookings
- Measure click-through rates on calls-to-action
- Set up Search Console to check SEO errors
- Create XML sitemap and submit to search engines
- Optimize page speed and mobile UX
Analytics insights enable data-driven optimization.
Choose the Right Development Platform
Evaluate leading healthcare web solutions:
- Squarespace – Intuitive SaaS content management
- WordPress – Open source CMS with custom plugins
- Drupal – Powerful enterprise CMS for hospitals
- Wix – Drag and drop website builder
- Index – Modern platform tuned specifically for healthcare
Pick based on your technical needs, resources, and capabilities.
Mistakes to Avoid
Sidestep common healthcare web design pitfalls:
- Overly sterile stock photography
- Relying too much on clinical jargon
- Cluttered layouts and complex navigation
- Undervaluing mobile optimization
- Lacking clear calls to action
- Impersonal copy that fails to humanize your practice
- No integrations for booking, billing, telehealth etc
Keep the patient experience at the heart through continual refinement.
Great healthcare websites share attributes like:
- Intuitive navigation and information architecture
- Optimized for readability and engagement
- Clear calls to action for scheduling and contact
- Robust features improving patient access
- Fast load times across devices
- Messaging that reassures and educates
- Real patient experiences prominently featured
By optimizing these elements, you can craft an unmatched digital presence that sustains your organization for the long term.
The healthcare web design possibilities are endless. Now that you have the blueprint, the only limit is your vision for improving patient lives!