Table of Contents
How to Leverage PPC Advertising to Drive More Conversions? Driving conversions with pay-per-click (PPC) advertising takes skill and know-how. One wrong move can lead to wasted ad spend without any sales to show for it. We’ve tested countless PPC strategies over the years and discovered a little-known trick that boosted our ads’ click-through-rates and conversions exponentially.
In this comprehensive guide, we spill the secrets behind our proven method for getting 3X higher PPC performance through better targeting, landing page optimization, quality score improvement, and advanced conversions tracking. Read on to learn how to leverage PPC advertising to capture more leads and skyrocket conversions.
Step 1: Laser Target Your PPC Audience
With PPC advertising, precision targeting is power. The more relevant your ads are to users, the higher click-through rates, lower cost-per-click, and increased conversions you’ll see. Take time to research your audience and optimize targeting around:
Narrow your PPC audience by:
- Income level
- Education level
Zero in on the demographics most likely to buy from you.
Identify topics, hobbies, and purchase behaviors your audience cares about. Target users based on:
- Social media behaviors
- Lifestyle and hobby interests
- Digital and physical purchase history
- Business roles and seniority
Target users actively searching for products or services like yours using:
- Keyword targeting
- Search query targeting
- Audience lists of previous visitors or customers
Place ads on websites, pages, and platforms frequented by your target users. Leverage:
- Placement targeting
- Topic targeting
- Remarketing to past visitors
- Lookalike audiences
Step 2: Create Hyper-Relevant Ad Copy
The relevancy of your ad copy to the target audience plays a huge role in PPC success. Craft ad headlines, descriptions, and display ads laser-focused on your prospects’ pain points and desires.
Leverage these proven headline formulas:
- Numbers – “10 Ways to…”
- Questions – “Ready to…?”
- Direct Benefits – “Boost Sales With…”
- Audience Reference – “Attention [Target Audience]:”
Ad Copy Tips
- Use emotional triggers like “announcing,” “warning,” “how to”
- Mention your audience’s goals, challenges, and motivations
- Keep text short, scannable, and specific
- Test ad variations continuously
- Tailor image, video, and text to each audience segment
- Show your product solving customers’ problems
- Focus on your unique value propositions
- Include limited-time offers to compel action
Step 3: Drive Clicks to Hyper-Targeted Landing Pages
Sending PPC traffic to a generic homepage is a wasted opportunity. The most effective PPC campaigns leverage targeted landing pages customized to the ad viewer.
Creating tailored landing pages for each campaign and audience allows you to:
- Deliver Relevant Page Content – Speak directly to what the visitor wants and needs.
- Match Ads Seamlessly – Transition visitors smoothly from your ad with relevant headlines, imagery, and messaging.
- Spotlight Specific Offers – Promote the most relevant offers, content, or promotions.
- Capture Relevant Leads – Collect contact details through customized lead gen forms.
Landing Page Types
Consider dedicated landing pages for:
- Keyword-specific offers
- Product category or service pages
- Free downloads or gated content
- Contest or sweepstake pages
- Coupons, discounts, or promotions
- Email subscription or newsletter signups
- Quizzes/assessments relevant to the target
- City/region-specific pages
Step 4: Optimize Landing Pages for Conversions
Driving PPC traffic to your landing page is only half the battle. You must also optimize those landing pages for maximum conversions.
Follow These Best Practices
- Simplify Design – Remove distracting, irrelevant elements so the CTA stands out.
- Highlight Benefits – Emphasize how you solve the visitor’s problem.
- Use Trust Seals – Build credibility with testimonials, security badges, certifications, etc.
- Limit Form Fields – Only ask for the minimum info needed to convert.
- Add Urgency – Limited-time offers, low stock warnings, etc. can incentivize immediate action.
- Prioritize Speed – Faster landing page load speeds result in higher conversions.
Tools To Try
- Leadpages – Pre-made landing page templates
- Unbounce – Landing page builder with built-in A/B testing
- Instapage – Fast landing page creation and optimization
- PageXL – Full analytics and speed optimization
Step 5: Improve Ad Group Structure
Many PPC advertisers set up one or two generic ad groups per campaign. This strategy misses big opportunities to target different audiences under the same campaign.
Here’s how to structure campaigns for optimal performance:
- Create granular ad groups around keywords, topics, and conversions
- Keep ad groups with <10 closely related keywords
- Aim for tight theme alignment between keywords
- Separate out branded vs. non-branded keywords
- Group negative keywords accordingly
- Align landing pages to ad group topics
This organization lets you highly target ads and optimize bids at the ad group level.
Step 6: Enhance Ad Rank With Quality Score Factors
Your ad’s Quality Score is crucial for lowering costs and winning ad placements. Quality Score consists of:
- Expected CTR – How likely users are to click your ad
- Ad Relevance – How closely your ads match the user’s intent
- Landing Page Experience – The quality of your landing pages
Boost Quality Score with these strategies:
- Improve click-through-rate (CTR) via testing
- Tightly match keywords and ad copy
- Create quality, relevant landing pages
- Craft ads tailored to each keyword and audience
- Track keyword-level metrics to optimize low-performers
Higher Quality Scores mean winning better ad positions for less money.
Step 7: Retarget Site Visitors With PPC
One of the most effective ways to increase PPC conversions is setting up remarketing campaigns.
Remarketing or retargeting puts your ads in front of previous visitors as they browse elsewhere online.
Follow these best practices to boost conversions from site visitors:
- Create custom remarketing lists based on pages visited, products viewed, content downloaded, purchases, etc.
- Set up dedicated remarketing campaigns with highly relevant messaging and offers.
- Offer exclusives like special discounts or sneak peeks for retargeted visitors only.
- Use dynamic remarketing to show specific products a visitor viewed or added to their cart.
- Schedule ads to hit recent visitors within their first 7-30 days off-site.
Remarketing helps turn website visitors into high-converting customers.
Step 8: Track Conversions Across Channels
Understanding which PPC factors influence conversions requires expanded conversion tracking. Avoid losing valuable data by tracking beyond last-click conversions.
Implement Cross-Channel Tracking
- Install Google Analytics, Facebook Pixel, and other tracking across devices.
- Set up offline/CRM conversion tracking for in-store, phone, email, chatbot, and sales team leads.
- Track micro-conversions like form fills, content downloads, link clicks, and email signups.
Understand Multichannel Attribution
Look beyond last touch attribution to see how multiple factors across channels influence conversions such as:
- Google Ads and Google Analytics assisted conversion data
- Attribution modeling in analytics platforms
- Frequency and recency of past interactions
Full conversion insights help refine your best-performing PPC placements, keywords, ads, and audiences.
Step 9: Structure Campaigns for Machine Learning
Newer PPC platforms like Google Ads Smart Shopping rely on machine learning to optimize campaigns. But you still need to set up campaigns structured for automation success.
Campaign Structures for ML
- Organize by product category, service lines, or conversion goals
- Consolidate similar terms and audiences into ad groups
- Use SKAGs (single keyword ad groups) for head terms
- Let the algorithm determine bids, placements, rotations
- Provide ample conversion history for the algorithm to learn from
- Use enhanced conversions like view content, add to cart, etc.
Machine learning thrives on structured PPC data to reach customers more efficiently.
Step 10: Test Extensively and Iterate
The most successful PPC advertisers constantly test and refine campaigns based on performance data. Uncover ad, landing page, and audience optimizations by:
- A/B testing ad creative, copy, headlines, placements
- Trying different landing page layouts, offers, images
- Monitoring keyword, ad group, and audience segment performance
- Using tools like Optmyzr to analyze metrics and automate tests
- Tracking CPC, CTR, conversions, and other KPIs
- Building on what works, eliminating what doesn’t
Agile advertisers willing to try new things reap huge PPC returns.
With the right precision targeting, optimization process, and conversions tracking in place, your PPC strategy can move the needle for your business. Consistently improve performance through an obsession with relevant messaging, quality score, cross-channel data, and constant testing.
Now you’re armed with our proven playbook to leverage PPC advertising for dramatically higher conversions. Put these PPC conversion best practices into action and unlock hyper-targeted customers ready to buy. With this smarter approach to PPC, you’ll maximize your ad spend and exceed your marketing goals.